After a 70-90 minutes drive from Amsterdam your first destination will be the city of ‘s-Hertogenbosch.
During the guided walking tour you’ll visit several places related to either the occupation or liberation. You will hear the stories of the people who hadexperiencedit, as well as the stories of soldiers participating in the liberation of the city.Backed up with photographs, maps and visible traces of that period, you will gain an exclusive insight in what life was like in the 1940-1945 era.
After some free time for lunch you’ll drive to the Camp Vught National Memorial, during World War twowasalso called Konzentrationslager Herzogenbusch. Camp Vught holds a special Place in Dutch history of the Second World War. It was the only official SS concentration camp in occupied North -West Europe.The memorial and museum is located in a forestin Vught and is spread out over several buildings and outdoor areas. The watchtowers, which were built a hundred meters apart, have been reconstructed. The barrack is rebuilt at half the original size, shows how the prisoners lived. The Children’s Memorial lists the names and ages of the 1,269 Jewish children who were deported in June 1943. There is also a crematorium, where the bodies of prisoners who died or were executed at the camp were burned. We drive to the Execution Area who is located nearby in the woods. A memorial has been erected here that displays the names of the 329 prisoners who were executed at this site.
Late afternoon we will drive back to Amsterdam
KEEP IN MIND: This tour is operated by Gray Line. Camp Vught is a destination that WE visit for this tour. If you have any questions / remarks, please contact Gray Line.
- Departure from Amsterdam around 9 a.m.
- Drive in approximately one and a half hour to the city s-Hertogenbosch.
- Start with a guided walking tour in s-Hertogenbosch.
- You will have a two hour free time for lunch and see the city centre.
- After a 30 minute drive you will arrive in Camp Vught National Memorial.
- Two hour visit Camp VughtNational memorial including audio guide.
- Drive in one hour and a half back to Amsterdam.