Portage Glacier is truly magical.
You'll visit the sheer, awesome face of a mighty Alaska glacier. Aboard the mv Ptarmigan you'll stand just 300 yards from a relic of the Ice Age and watch as icebergs break off the glacier and crash into the water below. You will find out why Portage Glacier is Alaska's second most visited attraction.
mv Ptarmigan Highlights:
• mv Ptarmigan is the only boat operating on Portage Lake
• Narrated by an on-board representative of the U.S. Forest Service
• Fully enclosed, heated cabin
• Expansive windows for enhanced viewing
• Topside view deck offers a great vantage point for watching the glacier “calve,” and for visitors to enjoy the fresh air
• Holds up to 149 passengers
• 80-foot vessel was built on site at Portage Lake to U.S. Coast Guard specifications
• 6.5-foot draft for minimal environmental impact
• Operates on national forest service lands of the Chugach National Forest and is operated under a special-use permit from the USDA Forest Service
• The mv Ptarmigan’s sound system cannot be heard from the shore, ensuring preservation of this naturally peaceful setting for wildlife and for other visitors
• Hull designed for safety in ice-filled waters
• Operates daily from mid-May through mid-September